Institute for Justice and Growth
The Institute for Justice and Growth (IJG) has been established by the European Public Law Organization aiming to provide consulting and educational and training services of expert and innovative character as well as technical assistance and support to countries and Organizations for:
- reforming and improving the national judicial systems and contributing to the enhancement of citizens’ trust in justice and the rule of law, including the introduction and development of alternative dispute resolution methods (such as mediation) as well as institution building services and organization of scientific events of all kinds for the promotion of the above reforms,
- improving the business and investment environment in order to boost competitiveness and openness of the economy,
- exploiting IT technologies in the field of public governance (e-government) as well as in the field of justice (e-justice) aiming at a transparent, accountable and good governance.
The IJG constitutes an academically independent unit of the European Public Law Organization with operational autonomy and is under the responsibility of its President with the assistance of its Scientific Council.
Mr. Nicolas Kanellopoulos, Attorney-at-Law, former Secretary General of the Hellenic Ministry of Justice, Transparency and Human Rights (2011-2015) is the President for the Institute for Justice and Growth.
The Scientific Council acts as a permanent advisory committee on scientific issues for which consultation is necessary. The members of the IJG Scientific Council are personalities of high academic and professional qualifications and international recognition.
The IJG is constituted by two Directorates, (i) the Justice Reform and Growth Directorate and (ii) the e-Government Solutions Directorate. Ms Eleni Kefali is the Director of the Justice Reform and Growth Directorate. Mr George Karvelis is the Director of the e-Government Solutions Directorate. They are both ex officio members of the Scientific Council according to the IJG Regulations.
Our goal is to unify the forces of the judiciary with those of the academia and the legal professionals with a view of adopting an extrovert modus operandi for the Institute, fostering synergies and creating partnerships based on the European and international best practices.
The members of the IJG Scientific Council are the following:
President: Nicolas Kanellopoulos, Attorney-at-Law
- Androulakis Vassilios, Associate Councilor at the Council of State,
- Apallagaki Chariklia, Professor at the Law School of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, Department of Civil Law, Civil Procedural Law and Labor Law,
- Askounis Dimitrios, Associate Professor at the School of Electrical and Computer Engineering of the National Technical University of Athens, Division of Industrial Electric Devices and Decision Systems,
- Gerapetritis Georgios, Associate Professor of Constitutional Law at the Law School of the University of Athens,
- Karvelis George, e-Government Solutions Director of the Institute,
- Kefali Eleni, Justice Reform and Growth Director of the Institute,
- Kotsiris Lambros, Emeritus Professor at the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki, President of the Mediators’ Accreditation Committee of the Ministry of Justice, Transparency and Human Rights, Member of the Academy of Athens,
- Kousoulis Konstantinos, Councilor at the Council of State,
- Loukas Dimitrios, Vice President of the Hellenic Competition Commission,
- Mitrou Lilian, Associate Professor at the University of the Aegean, Department of Information and Communication Systems Engineering,
- Botopoulos Konstantinos, Attorney at Law, former Chairman of the Hellenic Capital Market Commission,
- Economou Kyriakos, Presiding Judge at the Athens Court of Appeal,
- Panagiotopoulos Panagiotis, Public Prosecutor at the Athens Court of Appeal,
- Papaioannou Elias, Associate Professor of Economics, London Business School,
- Pikramenos Michael, Councilor at the Council of State, General Director of the National School of Judges, Professor of Public Law and Political Science at the Law School of the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki,
- Raikos Dimitrios, Chairman of the Single Public Procurement Authority, Associate Professor of Public Law and Political Science at the Law School of the Democritus University of Thrace, Presiding Judge at the Administrative Court of Appeals, Judge at the United Nations Appeals Tribunal,
- Triantaffilakis Georgios, Professor of Commercial Law at the Democritus University of Thrace.
Secretary of the Scientific Council: Mantzos Dimitrios, Attorney-at-Law, Accredited Mediator.
The Institute has experience in both strategic planning and legislative initiatives and implementation in the areas of judicial reform through the long experience of the President of the Institute under his previous capacity as the Secretary General of the Greek Ministry of Justice Transparency and Human Rights (2011- 2015) as well as of the members of its Scientific Council and the rest of the Institute’s associates being Supreme Court Judges, members of the Academia, attorneys-at-law of high professional esteem and senior executives with extensive experience in both the private and public sector.
These areas are:
1. Justice reform, including but not limited to the reform of the main codes of legislation (Code of civil procedure, Penal Code etc) and the organization of Courts,
2. Alternative dispute resolution,
3. e- justice,
4. Public Private Projects (PPP), structural funds and European grants of all kinds,
5. Action plans for the decongestion of prisons,
6. Electronic surveillance systems and e-tagging,
7. Organization and operation of prisons,
8. Construction of court buildings and prisons.
- Academy of European Public Law
- Academy of Transparency and Human Rights
- Institute for Justice and Growth
- European Law & Governance School
- European Institute of Management and Governance
- Training Institute for Law & Governance
- Institute for Humanities and Culture - Nicos Svoronos
- Institute for the Mediterranean
- Brcko National School of Public Administration (BNSPA)